Doesn't Disappoint

They say that when you have the trust of a million people, you almost invariably let one down. That all the balls you keep in the air more than make up for the couple you drop. That the people you have to disappoint, will understand.

I'm not a fan of being understood.

Explanations are for being understood. Random facts that don't quite fit in the realm of knowledge need understanding. Deplorable people with sordid back stories need to be understood; but I am not an excuse.

Which would explain why people often come to me when they need someone. A shoulder to cry on, a solution to a dilemma, and once or twice even a scapegoat. I didn't disappoint, I never do. But sometimes I disappoint myself. Another 3 hours slip away along with my will to accomplish something. They're not a complete waste though, because she needed my help and we've been friends for so long and "if I don't help, who will?". But my report lies unfinished, the laundry stays undone, and the five missed calls from my mother tell me that despite my best efforts, I've still disappointed someone.

But she needed me. And that felt good. 

Comments