Rhyme
People tell me I’m not a child anymore, that my poetry isn’t
supposed to rhyme
You’re supposed to grow with age, and your verse mature with
time
But the endless thoughts, all those words always rhyme
I’m in pain.
And it’s in vain, I’ve nothing to gain but I just can’t
Switch off my brain.
And rhyming was once a talent, but now?
I’m ‘insane’ and I can’t stop.
Because to sound profound you need a different end to each
sentence
Each word is different, no two have the same cadence, all
your lines are fragments
As splintered as your soul,
as broken as your heart, each part
Darker than the last and I’m cold. So cold.
And all these words keep crashing through
Each one unannounced, yet invited too
And each thought falls together in an imperfect harmony
A rhythm of my own design that seems to set me free
But I stop. Because I’m not a rapper and I’m not a child anymore, to rhyme
So I stop. And my sentences grow short.
And it takes effort to sound profound, for true wisdom does
not rhyme.
And yet the words keep coming.
For it’s never quiet in my head.
And I know not if they will stop even when I’m dead.
Comments
Post a Comment